Sunday, June 28, 2009

Church is awesome!

This morning I woke up (after sleeping in an hour) not feeling good, which is a problem because I ride my bike to church. I prayed about it, and figured God would get me to church if He wanted me to go (which with God is highly likely). I ate breakfast and got ready, got on my bike and started riding. Something I should say to preface what is coming up: the ride to church is a pretty straight shot of road with a bunch of hills starting out and I have been riding my bike all summer, so my muscles can take the strain. Back to my story... as I turned out of the great city of Upland, the wind smacked me in the face... literally, my bike actually swerved off the road into the gravel on the side, which is dangerous (gravel doesn't bode well with a hybrid urban bike that has relatively skinny tires; tends to make you fall). Fortunately I didn't fall, but I was faced with (I checked this on the internet) constant 18 mph winds buffeting me, along with gusts that went to 27 mph. This sucked a lot, and by the time I got to church I was crawling along (for me) at what I guess to be 10 mph (I usually go about 18 to church, as an average), and was all but hyperventilating. I have never breathed so hard and fast after a bike ride.

Now to the good part. I got to church with plenty of time to stretch, and the wind helped me to evaporate the mass amounts of sweat. I got coffee, nice columbian stuff. The sermon was about us needing to stop only "consuming" the Word and start teaching it to others as well. Afterwards, the church had a cookout (Exit 59, for those of you who know the region) and I met some really cool people. And finally, when I rode home that 18 mph wind + gusts was at my back and I think my average speed was around 23 mph...ahhhhh, nice and relaxing.

Needless to say, God is cool, and still would be if the wind was in my face coming back and it was raining. He takes such good care of me, even when it doesn't look that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment