Tuesday, September 15, 2009

God is doin' his thang

God is seriously messing with me right now. I don't mean in the bad way, but instead in much the same way as one would mess up a pile of legos so he could see all the pieces before he builds a life size, and functional, Death Star model. This is not to say that God is an avid Star Wars fan, but I can't think of anything more epic/impossible to build (save creation, but he has been there, done that).

The only thing I know for sure right now is that I know nothing. For a guy that loves knowing exactly what to do this is a huge problem; but that is probably the point. My current theory (here I go again...) is that God is breaking me of my dependence on a "mapquest" faith. I need to stop asking where and when God wants me to turn and where exactly he is taking me, and just trust him to lean over, wake me up, and quietly tell me to turn before I drive into the wall (not to say that my faith should not be attentive, it was just more interesting if I added in the wall and sleeping, in real life God will spice it up like he always does).

As I grow older (and hopefully more mature), I realize more and more that following God wholeheartedly is downright terrifying. You don't know where he is taking you, sometimes he pulls the emergency brake on the highway and scares the giblets out of you. Its not always fun, its rarely "safe", and in the end the destination is AWESOME; but until you get there you will probably be confused.

Also, what is the deal with God taking me off-roading in a diesel, stick shift, Volkswagen Rabbit with the dashboard replaced with light switches?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have some wonderful metaphors there.

    1) God has to be a Star Wars fan. I don't know why, I just believe it.
    2) He loves driving. I thought I loved driving, but He likes it even more, and He knows all the cool places in my life that He wants to show me.

    ReplyDelete